Tuesday, February 22, 2011

more questions on The Help

Here are a couple other questions for discussion-

1. Do you think this book is worth the hype? It was published about 2 years ago and is still on the bestseller list.

2. How do you see the characters trying to break out of their "defined" roles in society? What happens when they "rock the boat"?

2 comments:

Kimberloth said...

So now I get to answer my own questions LOL-
1. I did like the book but I'm not sure it is worth all the hype. It definitely shines light on a different element of society that I never really thought about. It is so foreign from my suburban Southern California upbringing in the 60's. I did talk to a friend of mine who grew up in the South near where this is set- she could relate to parts of the story but she lived in a small town and this was more of a big city story. The South does seem to have all the great stories!

2. As I thought about this book, I kept seeing how everyone was trying to change the "role" they had in life. There seems to be a more defined sense of "class" in the South and it is harder to break out of those roles. Skeeter didn't want the life her mother had, Aibileen wanted more for herself, Celia Foote wanted to be accepted, Miss Leefoot was trying to measure up to the "Junior League" crowd etc..

Ms. Stoddart said...

I've been so busy with work that I missed all the hype about this book. Maybe that means I can read it as it "is". I loved the book. The characters are well drawn and well voiced. The only thing I didn't believe was the friendship between Skeeter and Hilly Hoolbrook. AT the beginning of the book, it was way more believeable than in the middle to end.
2. I too think a lot of characters were trying to change the role they had in life. Except maybe Abileen. She just stayed true to telling the real story of her life and the other maid's lives. She did benefit at the end of the book by becoming a newspaper writer. It had always seemed unfair that Skeeter took advantage of her in that way.