Introductions-
While we are waiting for everyone to read (or reread in my case) The Help, let's get acquainted a little bit. Not everyone knows each other but you all know either me or Jessica. So here are some simple questions- answer which ones you want to.
1. Name, where do you live? Family? Job?
2. How do you know others in the group?
3. Do you have a Kindle, Nook or some other e-reader? Do you use it like you thought you would? Will you buy the book group selections or only get them from the library?
4. What types of books do you read? Where/when do read most often?
5. What are some of the favorite books you've ever read?
6. What is the best book(s) you've read in the last few months?
Feel free to add any other questions!! Look for this post and the comments on it under the members tab above ( I hope that works!)
11 comments:
Okay, I'll go first. My name is Jessica and I currently live in Colorado with my husband and two children. I was in a book group with Kim and Laurel, but life became too hectic to always make the meetings. I am very excited to see how well this virtual book group works out.
I read most of my books using my Nook. I love my Nook, unfortunately I am bad at remembering to plug it in. :( I plan on downloading most of our books electronically from the library.
I like to read at night in bed when the house is quiet. The last book I read was Blink: The Power of Thinking Without Thinking by Malcolm Gladwell. It is an interesting nonfiction book about the power of snap judgments.
A few books that I have recently read and really enjoyed: The Help (I have to reread before I post my comments), The Island, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, and The Last Juror (John Grisham is my literary guilty pleasure).
If anyone has any questions for me, please let me know. I look forward to reading with each of you.
It's been a while since I've read, but plan to get this book at the library. I need to get going. I am a fast reader, especially if the book grabs my attention. I live in Oro Valley, AZ. I would love to have a kindle or nook. Maybe with my birthday money. I know some of you from Peace With Christ in Colorado, which I still miss a lot!
1. Hi, I'm Meridith. I live in Rhinebeck, New York (the little town where Chelsea Clinton got married last summer). I have 3 children (ages 7, 5 & 3). I am in independent contractor am perform risk management inspections.
2. Jessica was my college roommate at OU. We had many a good time together . . .
3. I have a Nook. I love it. It has allowed me to read more because I only need one hand so I can read while rocking, cooking, etc.
4. I read best sellers as well as chick lit. I admit it, I read a lot of books about 20-something singles (perhaps I'm trying to escape!) I read when I get the chance (waiting for the bus to arrive, school pick-up, etc.) I try to read in the evening but wind up falling asleep . . .
5. She's Come Undone is perhaps my favorite book of all time. Loved it. LOOOOVED IT!
6. Honestly, I just read "Confessions of a Prairie Bitch" by Alison Angri (aka Nellie Oleson) and I loved it. IT was a favorite show . . . it gave me good insight to a favorite show!
Hello everyone. I live in Berkeley California with my husband and daughter, who is in middle school. Kim is my older sister. I remember Kim always having her nose in a book growing up. I am very much looking forward to sharing this book group experience with her and you.
I love to read and love to talk about books, but finding the time to do so is challenging. I am a special ed teacher in Oakland. I have my own classroom and teach 3rd-5th graders, who have severe reading disabilities, how to read.
I read in bits and snatchs. We have 10-15 minutes of time in my classroom where everyone (including me) Drops Everything and Reads. I enjoy sitting with the students and reading whatever. Now it will be our book group books. I also read right before bed. The last book I read and enjoyed was by Pat Conroy "South of Broad Street". I also liked "Pillars of Salt" by Ken Follett.
It is kinda cool that we are from different parts of the United States. That should bring really interesting perspectives to our discussions! Looking forward to hearing more from everyone.
Kellie
I guess it's my turn. My name is Kim and I love books. I don't always read all the books I buy but it is comforting to me to have them in the house. I live in Centennial CO. I work for H&R Block doing taxes so life can be crazy during tax season.
Patty Laurel and I have been in a book group for a long time and have gone to the same church. Jessica joined our book group a couple years ago and works with me at Block.
I do have a Kindle but don't use it like I thought I would. It's great for travel but I still like to hold a paper book in my hand.
I read almost everything -always try to start the day with the newspaper . Right after tax season, I tend to read mindless chick lit stuff because I don't have any brain cells left by then. I really love historical novels that are long and span many generations. I loved the Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet which I read over the summer. I think my all time favorite book is East of Eden by Steinbeck. Mere Christianity by CS Lewis probably had the most profound impact on my life (besides the Bible)
I'm looking forward to seeing how this works.
Cindy S.
I have always wanted to be in a book club but never had the time. I live in Anaheim, CA, am single and a full time registered dental hygienist. I love to read but primarily do it at lunch or catch a few minutes late in the evening. My Dad and 2 dogs share my house and that keeps me busy. I just got a Kindle for Christmas and have begun reading Sarah's Key (already read the Help and have been rereading that book too). My favorites "fluff reading are Janet Evanovich and Carla Neggars. I have know Kim since 6th grade and Kelly is right she always had her nose in a book ... looking forward to this new experience!
Hi. My name is Cheryl and I know Laurel from the late 90's when we lived in Denver for 3 years. I am an RN who works for Cigna here in Phoenix. I live in Glendale, AZ (a burb)with my husband and 2 dogs.
I have 2 adult sons - the youngest is getting married in Charlotte, NC in May.
This is my first book club, unless you count a brief stint with the Oprah Book Club, where I found I didn't care for many of the selections. I just recently bought a Kindle and I'm excited about reading again. The book I really enjoyed recently - "The Art of Racing in the Rain".
I look forward to participating with all of you.
1. Hello! I'm Amy and live in Joplin, MO. I have 3 kids (8, 6, and 2), one husband, and two dogs. I'm about to start a new job as a social worker in foster care. I was supposed to start today but everything is moving slowly - which, honestly, is fine by me.
2. I know Jessica from when we were stationed together in Shreveport, LA. She was tasked with training me - poor her!
3. I have a Kindle and LOVE it. I use it just as much as I thought. However, I still buy books as well depending on the book. I'll probably buy the books for the book group selection. You can highlight and tab and take notes with the Kindle but I haven't played with those features much.
4. I read all types of books -- mostly fiction but the occasional nonfiction creeps in there too. I read in little moments and in the evenings. If it's a really good book I end up staying up too late reading.
5. When I was a kid I loved A Wrinkle in Time -- I need to reread it but still consider it my favorite book.
6. The Help and The Hunger Games series.
So excited about this group - what a great idea! I might jump in on the second book as I loaned my copy of The Help to a friend.
I realize I am behind the 8-ball when it comes to posting but better late than never, right?
My name is Kendra and I live in Muscat, Oman (near Saudi Arabia) with my husband Brian. Kim is my mom and a few of the other ladies I know from church or through my mom working at H&R Block. I am a 5th grade teacher at an international school and moved here in August. Brian and I will be here for at least another year and then....we'll see!
I don't have a Nook or Kindle so I am an old-fashioned reader. Getting English books over here can be a little tricky but I am looking into some sort of e-book just in case!
My book tastes can be quite odd at times. Typically,historical fiction is a safe bet. Or mysteries. Because I am a teacher, most of the books I read are kids books that I am either looking at reading to them, or am considering them for my classroom library. I usually read for myself in the summer or in the car. A weekend camping trip is perfect for getting a lot of reading done as well!
My favorite book that I have ever read is Exodus by Leon Uris. I also really enjoyed The Historian by Koystova.
Probably the best book I have read in the last month (not best as in quality, but best as in interesting) was Princess by Jean Sasson. It is about a journalist who befriends one of the royal family in Saudi Arabia and talks about women in that country...fascinating!
I live in Littleton, CO in the home that my late husband and I bought in Fall 2009.
I have three grown children, Stacey, Kelly and Steve--all of whom live in the Denver metro area.
I am a nurse by profession, currently doing implementation and optimization consulting for case management software. This job requires frequent out of state travel, but allows me to work from home when not traveling.
I have always been a voracious reader. I remember fighting with my brother Mark about who got to read the cereal box at the breakfast table. I do have a Kindle and recently downloaded the Kindle app to my iPod Touch as well.
I use my local public library extensively, including audio books.
Happy reading,
Post a Comment